I ordered a pad and tried a couple of paintings:
Here’s what I find out so far:
- It behaves like a good quality 140lb watercolor paper. So in theory, you can use water.
- However, as one can imagine, transparent color doesn’t fire well on black paper. You need a lot of pigment for a color to show, and the colors still dry lighter. So you can’t really use a lot of water.
- Like any type of black paper, how you deal with value on it is quite counterintuitive.
- In the first painting I used mostly watercolor and mixed in some gouache white in the highlight area. The second painting is gouache. I personally like the the gouache one better.
- I feel like I am very lack of imagination with this paper. For the second painting, I believe I could achieve similar effect with ink resist method. While using black paper makes it easier in certain ways, ink resist could have some unexpected result. In other words, it is not particularly empowering.
- It could be just I don’t know how to make the most out of it.