I was born and raised in Beijing, China, where I spent the first two decades of my life in the heart of this bustling city. Growing up next to the National Gallery of China, the Palace Museum and countless imperial parks, I developed a fascination with how the daily scenes and objects are represented in various forms of artwork, and how art can transform our lives.
I studied literature at Peking University and later earned master’s degrees in Literature and Information Science respectively at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Following my education, I moved to the Bay Area and worked as a librarian for the San Jose Public Library and later a market researcher for various companies.
Despite my professional commitments, my love for art never waned. I took advantage of the abundant resources in the Bay Area to pursue art lessons in my free time. I was fortunate to find a remarkable watercolorist, Nancy Wulff, with whom I studies extensively. In Spring 2019, I participated Mike Bailey’s workshop “Beyond the Obvious,” which significantly broadened my artistic horizons. I have since continued to refine my skills and expand my artistic expression at online Institutions such as New Masters Academy, Watts Atelier and East Oaks Studio.
While I began my artistic journey with watercolors, I have since ventured into acrylic, oil, and many others. I believe a balanced approach to craftsmanship and self-expression is essential to my artistic vision.
Shows and Awards:
- “Breakfast” PAL Member Exhibition, 2023
- “Me,” “Father” 5th Annual Portrait Art Competition at Art Room Gallery (Honorable Mention for both pieces), 2023
- “Once Upon A Time” SCVWS 55th Member Show, 2023
- “Memory” PAL “Works on Paper” Show, 2023
- “Summer Dream” PAL Member Show, 2022
- “Sing” PAL 100th Anniversary Exhibition, 2021; SCVWS 54th Member Show, 2022
- “Decision” Portrait Art Exhibition (Honorable Mention), Art Room Gallery, April 2021
- “Waterfall 2” SCVWS 53rd Member Show, 2021
- “Waterfall 2” “Form,” Watercolor Group Show (juried), Blue Line Arts Gallery, 2020-2021
- “Sail,” Pacific Art League (PAL) 99th Anniversary Exhibit, (juried show), 2020
- “Marching,” 4th Annual “Patterns” Online Art Competition at LightSpaceTime Gallery, (Honorable Mention, Top 15 Artists), 2020
- “Lamonte,” 6th Annual Figures & Faces Art Exhibition at Fusion Art Gallery, (Finalist), 2020
- “Waterfall,” “Penitencia Creek Park,” Landscapes Online Show at Grey Cube Gallery (Finalist), 2020
- “Self-portrait,” SCVWS 52th Member Show, 2020
- “Fresh,” SCVWS Online Show, (Honorable Mention), 2020
- “Harvest,” SCVWS 50th Member Show, 2018
- “Show Time,” SCVWS Group Show, 2017
- “Fall,” Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society (SCVWS) 48th Member Show, 2015
- Group shows at Quinlan Community Center, 2014, 2015, 2016